Thursday, September 10, 2009

Showers of Flowers

I was never really a 'flowers' girl. Didn't have a favorite flower. Didn't really get all that jazzed by flowers as gifts from boyfriends. They just didn't do it for me.
That was then.
Now that I have been thrust into the world of wedding planning--a huge (and seriously dumbly expensive) portion of which seems to revolve around many different flowers for many different occasions--I confess I have a major obsession with hydrangeas. When I walk by them in the grocery store, I linger a bit too long and inspect them with glee. And I confirm that I made the right choice in choosing this lovely flower as the star in my wedding day (and wedding stationery) floral plan. I'm not sure when or why it happened, but I love them. They are adorable.
Apparently there are many delightful varieties (70-75) of hydrangea and some of my favorites are the regular blue hydrangea and the bright green and antique green. Coincidentally (or not really) these are our wedding colors! A few inspiration photos that I've snipped for the inspiration board:
source
source
Isn't this gorgeous?!

And bridesmaid's will have bouquets like this (but instead of white picture bright iguana green):

source

Since my mom has amazing flower arranging skills, she is going to be doing all of the flowers herself, with the help of another flower arranging buddy. Many of the other flowers we are hoping to use will depend on whether or not a frost comes to East Tennessee before October 24th. Which it will likely. So, lots of game time decisions to be made on flowers in the couple of weeks before the wedding.
Since I'm somewhat of a flower novice, I am not quite sure what other flowers I like to go with them. What flowers do you think would go well?

1 comment:

  1. Definitely the lime green spider mums for the big arrangements. The green button mums for the bouquets, Queen Anne's lace, white/green lisianthus, and for greenery, dusty miller and lamb's ear. But, since I know you have such an aversion to lamb's ear, only the bridesmaids ;-)

    ReplyDelete