Monday, July 20, 2009

Yay for fun new things with a $0 price tag

My office and home computer have an annoyingly bo-ring selection of fonts. This is clearly upsetting to my vision of having wonderfully modern and cool wedding stationery. Be still my heart--I have located (thanks to the amazing powers of Google) this amazing website, www.1001freefonts.com. And yes, they deliver exactly what they say--free fonts! I vaguely knew that this sort of thing existed and now that I am fully aware of how dumbly easy (and completely free!) it is to download and begin using these amazing fonts--I feel silly for not having discovered this before.
A quick tutorial for those who are skeptical of the easy-ness of this amazing free font magic (this would be helpful to the me of roughly 20 minutes ago):
1. Go to www.1001freefonts.com and search around for the font of your dreams
2. Click "Download font" (this takes approx 2 seconds!)
3. Select "Save" (and create a new folder on your desktop or wherever) and then open the zipped file (if you don't have WinZip you will need to download)
4. Right click on the .tff file and select Extract
5. Extract to the C: drive (somewhere that you will remember)
6. Now, go to your Start Menu-->Control Panel, and click on the Fonts folder
7. Go to the File Menu (at top) within the Fonts folder, and select "Install New Fonts"
8. An "add fonts" meun will appear. Select the file that you saved somewhere on your C: drive and click "OK"
9. Done! Next time you open Word, your new font will be in the drop down menu. Success!

I just downloaded Dragonfly--it is a super cute cursive-y font. And I've mocked up our goody bag stickers with Adine Kirnberg Script (see above). Now, I am armed with the font-power to make my stationery vision come true! So fun for $0!

No comments:

Post a Comment